The kindness of agents

Everyone says agents are cutthroat, ruthless meanies who would sell their children's souls for a big deal, because they don't really care about authors at all, just money.

I say, no way.

I started shopping my novel, Brains: A Zomoir, over a year ago, and all my friends--including those with agents and book deals--told me to beware of the snaky agent. I was cautious, like an oft-jilted lover, but every one I communicated with was friendly and helpful--even as they were rejecting me. One even called me "my dear" in her rejection letter! I wound up signing with the best agent on the planet and if you don't read her blog, you're missing out.

But here's the thing: When my book sold a few weeks ago, agents who rejected me sent me congratulatory emails. Yes, that's right! Six months ago, they told me thanks, but no thanks, but somehow remembered me and were thoughtful enough to give me a shout-out when they read about the deal.

That ain't ruthless; that's sweet. Let's hear it for the agents!
Facebook Twitter Email Digg Delicious Stumbleupon

5 Response to The kindness of agents

August 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I am fabulous solely because of the fabulosity factor of my clients!

And "Beware of the Snaky Agent" is going on my business cards! I can't think of higher praise!

August 9, 2009 at 6:28 AM

That is amazing, Robin. And congratulations again on selling your book!

August 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Congratulations! I can't wait to see a cover and some swag.

August 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I'm here because I read about your deal (and your awesome-sounding book) in Publisher's Lunch! I'm a Janet Reid fan, so you're absolutely right when you say you have the best agent on the planet :D.

Congrats, and I can't wait to read Brains!

Anonymous
August 17, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Wow, congratulations! I'm an aspiring writer myself, so hearing about someone getting published always gets me excited. I enjoy the humor in your posts and can't wait to read more news about your book (and of course the novel itself)! Hurray!

Post a Comment

 

Brains on sale now!


Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes