fifty pages of not-story

Did you ever write 50 pages of a novel and realize you just wrote 50 pages of backstory? Yeah, that was my spring break.

I wanted to do a whole Middlesex thing where I'd go way back to birth and childhood in order to explain where the character is and how she got to be that way--and she's a little bit of supernatural, by the way. But the teen years wound up reading like a YA novel--and I'm not writing a YA novel, much as I love the genre. And the whole thing just seemed irrelevant to the story at hand, the crux, the conflict. You know, what's important. Her mommy and daddy and grandma--who cares?

On the bright side, at least now I know what happened and I can say it's Hemingway's iceberg theory. But honestly, it feels like a waste of time.

To cheer myself up, I am baking chocolate chip cookies.
Facebook Twitter Email Digg Delicious Stumbleupon

4 Response to fifty pages of not-story

March 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I feel for ya'! Enjoy those cookies while I calculate my FSA expenses.

March 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Backstory is the most horrendous for me. Why can't people just be happy with present day protagonist. Never in a million years right? Ugh. I feel for you.(Hugs)Indigo

March 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I did that, only someone else had to tell me it was all backstory. *cringe* And hey, chocolate chip cookies can cure just about anything.

March 29, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Thanks guys. I feel better today--after cookies! And you know what? It's all part of the process. :)

Post a Comment

 

Brains on sale now!


Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes