Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?

Next weekend I'll be headed to NYC for New York Comic Con. I couldn't be more stoked. I grew up in Hackensack, which is just 10 miles off the George Washington Bridge, but my parents retired and moved away from the east coast in 1990. I haven't been back since. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years and I'm curious about all the changes. I hear the city's cleaner. And safer. And I know for sure Times Square is more wholesome than it used to be. Does Danceteria still exist? Probably not.

But more than memory lane, I'm stoked about my panel at NYCC. It's called Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep and it's amazing. Besides me there will be Mac Montandon who wrote The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies, Mira Grant, who wrote Feed, Alan Goldsher who wrote Paul Is Undead, and Richard Kadrey, author of Kill the Dead. Sake's alive! I've read those books in preparation--loved them. I can't wait to talk about zombies and writing with all of them. What's more I'll finally get to meet my fabulous agent Janet Reid, not to mention a few of her minions.

Another thing I'm excited about: I've given myself permission to buy one pair of fabulous shoes! Store recommendations more than welcome.

If you're at NYCC, check out the panel and come over and say hi after. I'll be the one wearing brand new shoes.
Facebook Twitter Email Digg Delicious Stumbleupon

6 Response to Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?

Anonymous
October 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fluevog+ny&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

;-)

Anonymous
October 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Wow I just realized how spammy that other comment looks. I promise I'm not spam.

(Or if I am, I'm at least glad I'm a vegetarian. I couldn't handle being cannibalistic spam.)

October 6, 2010 at 4:37 AM

I bought a pair of purple fluevogs 7-8 years ago in Minneapolis--and I still wear them! I love them, but they are getting raggedy. Thanks!

October 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Robin:

Danceteria? That closed in '86? Where else did we used to go? The Peppermint Lounge, The Irving Plaza, The Palladium, CBCG's, Great Gildersleeves, Bonds, The Back Fence, Wetlands. And in Jersey? Aldo's, Shark Bar, Mud Club, The Capital Theater in Passaic, The Loop Lounge (which I think is still open).

And the bands? The Fleshtones (many times), Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians, Psychedelic Furs, Gun Club, Violent Femmes, Ramones, Minor Threat. Memory's a little blurry so you may have not been at all those shows with me. . .

Anyway, big congratulations on publishing your first novel. I promise to track it down and consume it, Zombie-style.

Best from a real Zombie-from-the-past,
Jeff M

October 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM

also The Cramps, The Damned, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello (somewhere in Long Island), Red Hot Chili Peppers (that was Halloween 1985 or 6 and Tommy did my ghoul make-up!), X, and oh, I don't know. Too many to remember.

We sure were some punks. Hope you are doing well.

October 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

You got that right. It was an amazing time to be alive and 20 minutes from Manhattan! As you say, Manhattan today is not what it was. All the cool stuff is happening in the Boroughs and Jersey these days.

I'm doing fine and living a life that sounds frighteningly similar to yours. I'm married (5 years), no kids, teaching college English (lots of comp) at a small college in Iowa. I'm strumming my home-made telecaster in my basement as I type this (still trying to get the set-up right). I do a weekly radio show at a small station here playing raw, obscure R&B, Soul, Funk, Garage and lots of vintage commercials (many for horror, biker, and sexploitation films).

Here's a little bit from an a dumb NPR segment I did a few years back:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1170062

Tommy's doing great in Cali with two kids and a job doing digital animation. Jon lives in Connecticut and has his own medical instrument business. My dad is retired in south Jersey. For his 70's birthday he cut half his left hand off with a band saw. And it didn't slow the old dog down one bit!

I'm really happy for you. Great to know you are doing cool shit and getting published.

Post a Comment

 

Brains on sale now!


Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes