Make Faulkner County Wet

I live in Faulkner County, Arkansas. And it's dry here. Not dry as in it doesn't rain. It rains plenty. It's dry as in no alcohol. It's a Baptist-stronghold, Bible-belt, alcohol-free zone. You'd think with the name Faulkner--great southern writer who loved his booze--we'd be swimming in bourbon. Not so.

Because Faulkner county isn't named after William Faulkner. And it's not entirely dry either. It's moist. And that's a lot less sexy than it sounds. Moist means you can buy booze at restaurants that call themselves "private clubs," but you can't go to a flat-out bar and you can't buy any package alcohol at the supermarket or convenience store. To buy a six pack or a bottle of wine for at-home consumption, we have to drive to the next county.

And that's just wrong, not to mention un-American. So I am on a mission to make Faulkner County wet! And the first step in any political fight is a folk song. A protest folk song that galvanizes the movement.

Lucky for me, I didn't have to write one. My bandmate Julee did. We're going to start the revolution, one cocktail at a time. Get wet, Faulkner County. Get wet.
Facebook Twitter Email Digg Delicious Stumbleupon

3 Response to Make Faulkner County Wet

April 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I'm sure it'll become wet shortly after I depart for two years. Le sigh.

April 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM

You have my unequivocal political support!

April 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I used to be really opposed to dry counties - then I learned that a lot of the temperance movement was fueled by women fighting domestic violence - so that makes me have a lot more respect for the concept.

That being said, sure glad that I can buy booze whenever and where ever I want around here.

Post a Comment

 

Brains on sale now!


Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes