When worlds collide: meeting the other Robin Becker


This weekend was the AWP conference. That's the Association of Writers and Writing Programs and as far as conferences go, it's a decadent one. Lots of writers equals lots of drinking. There are struggling students, mid-career writers, small press all-stars and some big names. Plus there are readings and panels on writing, teaching writing, and publishing.

This year was extra special because I finally met the other Robin Becker.

I was working the Exquisite Corpse table, reeling in writers and their 10 sweaty dollars, when behind me a voice said, "I'm Robin Becker."

And I was like, "No way, I'm Robin Becker."

I rushed over and introduced myself. I've wanted to meet Robin Becker for years. I am a fan of her poetry as well as her name and I'm happy to report that Robin Becker the person is as charming and beautiful as her work. A gracious woman. And best of all, we both love being Robin Becker.

My pal David Gessner said that we're the same person. He theorized that the poet Robin Becker was from the future, coming back to the past to tell me something or to help guide our career.

I like that idea. Because I would love to grow up to be the poet Robin Becker. She rocks--and I do see a resemblance.

But here's the best part: At the end of the conference, I heard from a mutual friend that people were asking Robin Becker, the esteemed poet, about her new zombie novel!
Facebook Twitter Email Digg Delicious Stumbleupon

3 Response to When worlds collide: meeting the other Robin Becker

April 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM

SWEET! You guys definitely have the same body type and height. Maybe you guys could book tour together?

April 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Wicked! What are the chances two Robin Becker's chose to be writers. You know the saying, it's all in a name. (Hugs)Indigo

April 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Totally cool.

Post a Comment

 

Brains on sale now!


Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes